Tuesday, August 25, 2009

What is That?

In the spring, I usually buy flowers to plant in my flower bed in front of the house. This spring I never did do it. So, of course, weeds have taken it over.
We have taken a weed eater to it once. Then a few weeks ago our neighbor was looking at the weeds and told my husband he wanted some when they were bigger. He said it makes good salsa. I thought it was weird but hey, who am I to judge. Then last week a friend came by and asked where I got the plants out front. She was talking about the same plants.
Strange that everybody is so interested in those weeds. I didn't get them from anywhere they are just there. Thinking back I have actually battled these "weeds" for years. I pull them out all summer trying to keep my flowers free of weeds. She said they are tomatillos, pronounced [toh-MAH-tee-YO]. Wow! I have a crop of tomatillos in my front flower bed.
Apparently, they are good for making salsas and other Mexican dishes. Now,if they grow and mature enough before it gets cold we will have lots of tomatillos. They are still pretty small, remember we did hack them down once already. I have no idea where they came from or how they got here, but here they are. Hopefully, we can enjoy them and share them with the friends and neighbors who recognized them before we got the weed whacker out again.
Here are some recipes for using tomatillos.
And some more interesting tomatillo sites.
http://www.mariquita.com/images/photogallery/vegetablesatoz/tomatillo/tomatillophotoessay.html
http://www.baileyfarmsinc.com/recipeList.asp?PRODUCT=55

3 comments:

  1. Isn't that funny! They are good for different recipes-- enchiladas too! yum

    ReplyDelete
  2. lol Funny! I always wonder if my weeds are weeds or not! Sometimes they can be very pretty!

    ReplyDelete